Saturday, 5 April 2014

2 Minute Quinoa Chocolate Microwave Cake!

Cake.

2 minutes.

Healthy.

Have I got your attention?



For a while now I swear everyone has been obsessed with microwave single-serve cakes - probably because I am surrounded by students and most students would live off cake if they could! These are great as they give you a quick dessert but generally are not the healthiest. My 'clean' version is inspired from here, takes just as few ingredients and is just as quick as your regular 'mug' cake!

These use quinoa flakes which cook in hardly any time at all compared to regular quinoa. You should be able to buy them at most health food shops at around £5. Aside from the egg, quinoa and banana you can pretty much let your imagination go wild!



I chose some dark chocolate which I roughly chopped along with some nuts, cinnamon and that is it! Other great additions would be dried fruit, chia seeds, cacao nibs, agave syrup, honey, almonds... whatever takes your fancy :)

Simply mix up the ingredients of your choosing and 'bake' in microwavable ramekins or small dishes. Microwave for 2 minutes and you are done!


Carefully turn out and serve then and there as this is when they are at their fluffiest. We re-heated one and it was fine but a lot heavier - which is often the way with microwave cooking.

I served mine with half an alpro vanilla dessert and fresh fruit. They are not the prettiest of cakes but they sure taste pretty fine in my opinion! 


With only 5 basic ingredients I think I will be eating a lot more of these from now on...!


You may also like:

Healthy Coconut Cake
Dark & Decadent Chocolate Cake
Bannock Tea Loaf
Healthy Breakfast Muffins
The 2 Ingredient Super Cookie!

4 comments:

  1. OMG! I am definitely trying this!!! Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! I would probably use some oats as I can never find quinoa flakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! But you may be able to find at Holland & Barrett!

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing I am definitely going to give this a go. I have just made biscuits with no sugar, butter, flour or eggs which did taste good but this looks even better!

    www.lulabelloves.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you guys! Feel free to let me know what is on your mind :)