Saturday, 15 March 2014

Simple Spring Suppers! Halloumi Superfood Salad and Individual Stuffed Spanish Omelette


Hi Foodies!

Is it Spring yet?

Please can we call this Spring despite the fog I had to trek through this morning and the fact I slept with my electric blanket on last night...!?

As you may be able to tell I am excited for Spring, waking up to some sun, flowers blooming and birds chirping makes life so much happier in my opinion. I am also kind of bored of 'winter food' now and am looking forward to enjoying more Spring like foods, like lovely salads, quiche, picnic type food and ice cream of course!

But anyway, today is not about ice cream (that will come soon!) today is about 2 of my favourite protein-packed meals right now which I thought I would share with you guys.


Super Foods Halloumi Salad!

The messier the salad - the yummier is it! Didn't you know that?!

I have been craving a dinner with a 'meaty' texture recently, don't get me wrong I am not craving actual meat I just fancy something with a bit of bite and solidity to it. I often feel as a non meat eater our food can be pretty soft  - fruit, veggies, bread, even fish is all kinda squidgy! Is that just me?!

Halloumi is great for this exact purpose as it is a super firm and solid cheese perfect for adding to a salad. I find it to be pretty salty so while I LOVE it, I add about 1/3 - 1/2 of a 225g block. I choose the 'lighter' option which is about 300 calories for half the block. Obviously this is not the healthiest option for you, so I wouldn't recommend it for everyday but for a salty, 'meaty' change I think it is perfect.

Due to it's salty flavour it goes superbly with sweet potato in my opinion as well as grapes, rocket and well really everything I have listed below in the ingredients! Obviously this is just what I think works perfectly, mix and match to your tastes! This is a BIG salad the way I made it, great for a dinner.

Ingredients

100 g aprox halloumi chopped into small cubes
1 large sweet potato
1 garlic clove
1/3 red onion
Small handful of pine nuts
Large amount of salad leaves ( I used rocket and spinach)
1/2 can tuna 
10 aprox grapes
1 sliced tomato

1) Obviously you guys know how to make a salad but basically I just layered it up. Lay out all the cold ingredients first - salad leaves, tomato, tuna and grapes.

2) I sliced my sweet potato into wedges and steamed for around 15 minutes. I allowed to drain off and cool for 5 minutes before adding.

3) For the cheese, fry up some garlic and then simply add the halloumi. Fry for 5-10 minutes turning as the sides brown. I used minimal oil.

4) I also brown my pine nuts (this TRANSFORMS them into nutty beauty) for 3-5 mins in a dry pan too on a high heat.

5) Simply then add it all together! Add a dressing if you wish, I just am not a fan of dressing so I just added some pepper.

I LOVE this salad and may have made it 3 times this week....


Stuffed Individual Spanish Omelette 


Another meal I have been enjoying is a spanish omelette stuffed with goodness! We often have omelettes like this when I am at home but this is the first time I have tried cooking an individual one. Oh, and I call this 'individual' as I cooked it in a small pan using enough ingredients for one. This served me for 2 meals with lots of salad!

Again, the ingredients are pretty much changeable but you need your eggs and potatoes really to hold it together. 

Ingredients

2 large potatoes boiled and cut into wedges
Cup of peas
1 large orange pepper
1 small red onion
2 eggs
Splash of milk
Salt/Pepper
1 garlic clove

1) Steam the potato for around 10 minutes. Remove and drain.

2) Fry the onion and garlic in a little oil of your choosing. Add the rest of the veggies and fry for a minute or two making sure everything is well combined.

3) Whisk the eggs, I also added a glug of almond milk to make them go further and add your seasoning into them. I used lots of pepper and a fair pinch of salt - I always find I need a little more salt than usual in an omelette as I think they can often taste a little bland. 

4) Lay your potatoes onto the veggies in the pan and then pour the egg mix over it. Place under the grill on a low heat for 5-10 minutes till it all cooks and turns golden brown! The egg should be firm to the touch and the potatoes browning. 



I can tell these 2 meals are going to be a Spring/Summer staples in my diet. They are just so simple, quick and a little lighter than my usual Winter grub!

What kind of foods are you looking forward to this season?


You may also like:

3 comments:

  1. Gawd I love me some Halloumi, I need to get some! That salad looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only really just discovered it and safe to say I am now pretty much addicted!

      Delete
  2. I was looking at Halloumi cheese the other day and wished I had picked some up now after looking at this lovely salad.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you guys! Feel free to let me know what is on your mind :)